Are you tired of the prescription medicines that bring little relief? Afraid to stand in front of the mirror? Or, worried how can you get rid of excessive body hair? This is when you start looking for the natural alternatives. The natural remedies not only relieve the symptoms but also take care of your overall health. For these reasons, they are less likely to disappoint you. Here, I am going to give you an insight of the best natural remedies for PCOS body hair growth.
PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a common disorder of hormone imbalance. In most cases, it affects the women in their reproductive years. The symptoms of PCOS are more than just unpleasant. They can be serious at times. From an increased risk of infertility to the male-like hair on the body and face, everything about PCOS can cause distress. While prescription medicines form the cornerstone of the treatment, not all of them give the desired results. Not to forget that certain treatments may interfere with the natural hormone balance.
The male-like hair on the body and face is a common problem among women with PCOS. This condition is known as hirsutism. Although generally not a serious health issue, the presence of excess face and body hair can be damaging to a woman’s self esteem. After all, facial and body hair is a trait often identified in men and most women would prefer not to look like men. It doesn’t help that the symptoms of hirsutism are visibly present in the body.
Try These Natural Remedies and Get Rid of Unwanted Body Hair
- Spearmint tea. Spearmint has highly effective chemicals that work to reduce the levels of androgen in PCOS patients. In essence, it is rich in anti-androgen chemicals. The people in the Middle Eastern regions have been using spearmint tea to fight the symptoms of hirsutism for hundreds of years, Recent studies suggest that spearmint tea cuts down the level of testosterone (androgen) in the blood. That way, it also boosts the levels of other female hormones like estradiol. The research has suggested that for a visible result, spearmint should be taken as tea twice daily for at least a month. In our Femininitea Spearmint we’ve blended all natural and organic spearmint with green tea, white peony and licorice to further enhance it’s anti-hirsute benefits.
- Also called “sweet root”, this flavoring contains a group of female hormone-like compounds called phytoestrogens. They help to restore the hormonal balance in women. Moreover, it is rich in plant steroids glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetic acid. All these chemicals have a common function, which is to reduce the level of androgen in the blood. Consequently, you can expect improvement in the PCOS symptoms like excessive body hair growth. The good news about licorice is that its health effects continue even after you stop taking it. For the best results, the researchers recommend a daily intake for at least a month.
- Green Tea. You have been hearing about health benefits of green tea for years now. As the interest of the medical community grows, we are only witnessing a sharp rise in its popularity. No wonder, it deserves even more. Studies have extensively evaluated its role in reducing the risk of type II diabetes and some forms of cancer. Interestingly, many of the results are promising. Of lately, the researchers have found that epigallocatechin, the active chemical in green tea, is an anti-androgen and blocks the activity of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase. Hence, it prevents testosterone from converting into a more powerful compound called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Put it simply, green tea helps to fight PCOS body hair growth by reducing the blood levels of DHT. While we are waiting for more conclusive results, you could enjoy a cup without a hint of worry.
- It is a nutrient-dense fiber crop that reduces the levels of the male hormone testosterone. Previous studies suggest that high-fiber diet can affect the hormone levels in the body. Moreover, lignan, a chemical found in flaxseed, is reported to promote the excretion of testosterone from the body. Because flaxseed has a very high lignan content, it can clear up to 36% testosterone from the bloodstream. To get such effect, you have to take it for at least 6 months along with a low-fat and low-calorie diet.
Consider Taking These Supplements To Reduce Unwanted PCOS Hair Growth.
In addition to the natural treatments, essential vitamins and nutrients can further improve the symptoms of PCOS including excessive hair growth.
- Vitamin D. Certain studies have explored a potential link between PCOS symptoms and lower blood levels of Vitamin D. Because the active form of Vitamin D is a hormone, it may play a role in hormone balance. Women who have lower Vitamin D in the body are more likely to have an excess body hair growth. Whenever possible, get your daily dose of Vitamin D from the sun. Ask for a supplement only when it’s absolutely necessary.
- Taking a chromium supplement for 8 weeks has been found to significantly reduce body hair growth and acne in women with PCOS.
- Myo-inositol and folic acid. According to a recent study published in the International Journal of Endocrinology, supplementation with my-inositol and folic acid improves the PCOS symptoms. In addition, women taking the supplement may have a better chance of getting pregnant. The study involved 12 weeks of treatment with the supplements. At the end of the study, the researchers found that the women in the treatment group had lower levels of testosterone and higher levels of progesterone.
- Taking a zinc supplement for 8 weeks or more may be beneficial to controlling certain PCOS symptoms such as hair loss and thinning, acne, and excessive body hair growth. However, during the study, the researchers also noted that zinc did not cause any changes in the hormonal profile.
Other Lifestyle Measures To Consider
- Get to a healthy weight. Losing as little as 5% of the total body weight can work wonders to bring back the normal hormone levels. Women with PCOS have reported reduced body hair growth after losing their weight. Moreover, controlling your weight is key to keeping blood glucose in check.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes in a day 5 times a week. Not only exercise helps you lose weight, it also lifts your mood. Note that PCOS and depression share some links.
- Take a balanced diet that is rich in essential nutrients and contains few calories. As a matter of fact, women with PCOS are commonly deficient in zinc, magnesium, chromium and B vitamins. Make sure your diet contains enough of these nutrients.
- Smoking and drinking. Both these habits can wreak havoc on your body’s natural hormone balance. With PCOS, they can be even more harmful and may worsen the symptoms. Some exceptions to this include a glass of red wine taken conservatively as it contains resveratrol that has certain health benefits.
- Intake of red meats and high-fat foods.
Key Takeaways For Managing PCOS Hair Growth
- Foods and herbs can help reduce the severity of PCOS symptoms such as hair growth. Since these natural remedies take time to show their full effects, you cannot expect to notice a visible change within a short period of time. For some women it may require combining the remedies with semi-permanent services such as laser hair removal, waxing or invest in good depilatory systems.
- Vitamins and minerals other potential remedies for excessive body hair growth in PCOS. Like the herbs, they may not show an immediate effect. However, there is no doubt, over time, these supplements can help restore the hormonal balance.
- As much as possible, you should try to get your dose of the nutrients from the diet you take. Talk to your doctor about the supplements only when your diet is deficient in the nutrients or your health condition warrants an extra dose. Also, do not take any supplement on your own. It is because some of them may interact with the medicines you take.
- Even if you are taking the prescription medicines or the natural herbs, never forget the importance of a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle consists of different components like a balanced diet, appropriate physical activities, and avoidance of alcohol and tobacco.
We would love to hear from you. What natural remedies do you use to manage PCOS hair growth and symptoms? Please share in the comment box below.
– Shop Related Products –
Grant, Paul., et al. “An Update on Plant Derived Anti-Androgens” International Journal of Endocrinology Metabolism 2012 Spring; 10(2): 497–502.
Jamilian, Mehri., et al. “The Effects of Chromium Supplementation on Endocrine Profiles, Biomarkers of Inflammation, and Oxidative Stress in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial.” Biological Trace Element Research 2016 Jul;172(1):72-8.
Minozzi, M., et al. “Treatment of hirsutism with myo-inositol: A Prospective Clinical Study” Reproductive BioMedicine Online Vol 17 No 4. 2008 579-582.
Regidor, Pedro-Antonio., et al. “Myoinositol as a Safe and Alternative Approach in the Treatment of Infertile PCOS Women: A German Observational Study” International Journal of Endocrinology 2016; 2016: 9537632.
Nowak, Debra A., et al. “The Effect of Flaxseed Supplementation on Hormonal Levels Associated with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: A Case Study” Curr Top Nutraceutical Res. 2007; 5(4): 177–181.
Jamilian, Mehri., et al. “Effects of Zinc Supplementation on Endocrine Outcomes in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial.” Biological Trace Element Research 2016 Apr;170(2):271-8.
Promote Balance with Maca, Vitex, Green Tea & Shatavari! Asana by LadiesBalance
- Best selling women's health & beauty supplement to balance hormones naturally, clear acne and energy.
- Blend of empiric women's herbs to support a healthy cycle, hormone health & clear skin.
- With power adaptogen, gelatinized black Maca sourced from the heart of the Peruvian amazons.
- 100% certified organic, Non-GMO
- NO Fillers, binders, flow agents, artificial additives or preservatives! Just pure food and botanicals.
We're seeing results! What our customers have to say
I used this product regulate my cycle and balance my hormones.
I took this and it not only gave me a cycle but I got pregnant. I have Pcos so I can't get pregnant without fertility treatments. Read more.
I was facing the worst breakout i've ever had from a new birth control ...
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY OF BALANCED BAES!
Hi! I am Belle and my goal is to help women around the world to feel beautiful and live their best lives. I spearhead the team at LadiesBalance.com. I am a chartered herbalist, licensed esthetician and certified fitness trainer. I am also the formulator of ASANA by Ladies Balance, an all natural plant based blend that combines powerful women herbs and superfoods.